Thursday, October 7, 2010

My battle with Soy

When I was tested for food allergies, one of the foods I tested highest for was soy.  Later on in years as I began suffering again,  it was up to me to learn on a deeper level about the foods I was eating.  As I mentioned in the previous blog, my doctors had no idea why I was suffering from the various symptoms I was having (extreme dizziness, migraine like headaches, dark and itchy skin splotches and more).  I also stated that I was put through a variety of physical tests ( MRI and other neurological tests).  Nothing was discovered.

As my frustration grew so did my resolve to press forward to help myself.  I begin to learn to tap into my intuition (something we all have) and learn to trust and follow those intuitive thoughts and feelings.  I strongly felt that I was bringing on these symptoms through my diet. As I researched my original food allergies I began to learn how wide spread soy is in much of the food we consume. Not only was I still getting soy, but msg and dairy three big nono's for me. They were 'hidden' away listed with unfamiliar names in so many foods.

Here listed are examples of foods that may contain soy.
Soy protein,  Textured vegetable protein (TPV),  Hydrolyzed soy protein,  Hydrolyzed plant protein,  Hydrolyzed vegetable protein,  Natural and artificial flavoring (may be soy based), Vegetable gum, Vegetable starch, Soy lecithin. These are common soy-containing ingredients.

Soy-Containing Foods are
Miso,  Soy sauce,  Worcestershire sauce,  Tamari,  Tempeh,  Vegetable broth, some cereals,  Many baked goods.

Soy may also be called Soy, Soya, Soybeans, Glycine max.  Soy is also a common ingredient in other food products such as meat products (particularly luncheon meats and sausages), meat substitutes, candies, ice creams, dessert, margarine spreads are mostly soy, and  some condiments.

As you can see that when you that avoiding all soy, it can be challenging as soy isn't just tofu and soy milk, it's everywhere!  Being educated and consistant reading and understand of food labels are your best weapon against accidentally contaminating yourself (as I was doing) in the process.

No comments: