Friday, October 1, 2010

Re learning how to eat:

My connection with raw foods has lead me down the road to better health and healing.  I now eat raw and whole foods to continue to better my body, mind and spirit.

I've always had allergies. A few years ago I took allergy therapy shots weekly which was the beginning of a huge healing change to my life. During this time it was discovered that I was allergic to numerous foods and had other food sensitivities.  Being sick in some way for the better part of my life was unbeknown to me, all a part of food allergies ( along w/some environmental and chemical allergies too).

 I was doing fine for a while, and then began to suffer from mystery symptoms again.  This time the symptoms were more debilitating, extreme dizziness ( to the point that I couldn't drive at times), brain fog, dark skin marks and body wide itchiness, and migraine like headaches.  Not to mention, stomach bloating and pain.

I was given a blood test for Celiac but it came back negative.  I was tested for a host of other conditions, from MS, to brain tumors. All came back negative.  Doctors didn't really know what to tell me. I began to research myself and testing my body by removing and re entering certain foods that I had under suspect.

I realized my body was reacting from foods that I thought I had eliminated from my diet.  What I didn't know then was that unclear and misleading food labeling had made it possible for these trouble foods and chemical preservatives/additives to slip through.  I was slowly poisoning myself.

Now days labels have gotten much better but still require careful examination and a knowledge of what ingredients are.  In the next blog I will be discussing ingredients and common allergens and where they are hiding in our food. Learning this was indeed a lifesaver for me.  Once I was able to move through the secret labeling codes,  I could shop and eat without fear. Once I began eating a raw and whole foods diet my my symptoms disappeared and my body thanked me.

I want to help others who may be in the same boat as I was and don't know where to turn or what to eat. I want to educate people on what's really in the foods they eat, especially processed foods, and help people discover that when we eat natural unprocessed whole foods, we are healing as well as enjoying good food.

No comments: